Is it for me?
In Vietnam you will help a young generation aspire to new heights, giving them the English language skills they need to succeed. As a volunteer, you will find yourself adapting to a different way of life and thriving on this culturally rich experience. You can focus on developing your sense of independence in a leadership role by teaching your own class of very eager students. Alternatively, if you're not quite ready to take a whole class on your own, you can build your teamwork skills by supporting a local teacher and running English language activities throughout the school day. By committing to this challenge, you’ll find all your efforts result in a truly rewarding experience.
Placements are mostly located in the capital Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) and surrounding areas, click here to view a map.
Teaching placements are in colleges and universities and some primary and secondary schools. Volunteers provide students with the opportunity to practice their spoken English by leading activities such as conversation, role playing, singing and debating. A range of extracurricular activities including conversation groups, visiting students’ homes and playing games add great value and enjoyment to the placements. Volunteers may also be asked to teach the teachers and assist in enhancing their confidence in English conversation.
Sports Coaching placements are in local schools assisting and mentoring students in such sports as soccer, basketball, volleyball and badminton.
A small amount of pocket money is paid.
Accommodation is either provided on campus at the host institution, or in a nearby flat rented by the host. Food is either supplied or an allowance provided for self-catering.
Before you go:
- We find out more about each volunteer through an interview which helps us select the right people and after a second interview, we match them to a placement that’s right for them.
- Once selected, each volunteer is allocated a Coordinator in the Melbourne office who assists them with all preparations. They provide briefing materials, support with logistics such as flights and visas and are there to answer any questions.
- Everyone attends a briefing camp to meet other volunteers and Lattitude staff, identify their learning needs and hear from returned volunteers.
- All volunteers sign our Code of Conduct to ensure that our expectations of each volunteer are agreed and clear from the outset.
When you're overseas:
- We have paid staff based in each country. Our Country Managers oversee the program and work with a team of Local Representatives who provide support in the local areas and develop close relationships with placement hosts.
- Each volunteer attends a combined five-day orientation and teaching skills course on arrival in Hanoi.
- Volunteers complete their own Learning and Development Plan which helps to identify goals and personal skills they would like to develop, and these areas of development are followed up throughout their time away.
- We work with Embassies and High Commissions to ensure we can respond to any situation and provide 24/7 emergency support from Melbourne.
When you're back:
- We recognise that coming home can be difficult and provide one-to-one support, with onward referrals for further professional support if needed. Volunteers are invited to debriefing events and become part of our network of alumni.
- We undertake reviews against the learning needs identified before going overseas which may form part of a reference provided at the end. A letter can also be provided to use towards an application for Youth Allowance.
This is a guide of the costs involved for placements in Vietnam in 2018:
|Lattitude fees (exact costs)|
|Lattitude Application Fee||$150|
|Lattitude Placement Fee||$4300|
|Lattitude In-country Orientation||$480|
|Travel costs (approximate)|
|Travel Insurance (3 months)*||$215|
|Return Airfare (ex Melbourne/Sydney)||$1100|
|Total cost (approximate)||$6417
* Travel insurance is quoted on an Allianz Standard Package with $250 excess
Other costs associated with your time away may include obtaining a passport, arranging travel vaccinations, purchasing any additional clothing and travel within the country.
You’ll have opportunities to travel during a one-week holiday within your placement as well as after your placement finishes. Vietnam has plenty of adventure to offer you in your downtime! Explore the caves and lagoons of Halong Bay by cruise or kayak; discover the amazing biodiversity of lowland tropical rain forest in Cat Tien National Park; or trek your way through the pristine hills of Sapa. Learn about Vietnamese history in one of Ho Chi Minh City’s many museums or wander through the vibrant markets of Hanoi and experience Vietnam’s fresh and fragrant cuisine. When it’s time to relax, Vietnam has an overwhelming amount of choice when it comes to beautiful beaches. Check out Doc Let, Phu Quoc, or Nha Trang to get away from it all.
Vietnam is at the heart of Southeast Asia and has been the launching point of many adventures. You will find everything from the new and exotic to the familiar and comforting in this rapidly developing nation. As the tourism economy booms, English education is the key to a bright future for the country’s youth. That’s where you come in! Young people in Vietnam are very tuned into the world beyond their country’s borders and by volunteering you can provide them the inspiration and education they need to step onto the world stage.
Population: 85 million
Time Zone: Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) minus 3 hours
Climate: The climate in Vietnam is tropical and sub-tropical. Winters can be chilly in the north but are mild in the south. The middle calendar months are hot and sticky.
Currency: Vietnamese Dong
“A hand reaches over and plucks some chips from the packet I just opened. No “please” or “may I?” uttered, just a common understanding that here in Vietnam people share things equally, westerner or not. I am chastised by the teachers for spending too much time in the sun and ruining my beautiful ‘white’ complexion.”
Alicia Varley, Lattitude Teacher